Pit Bull Dog Bite Attorneys in Rochester, Minneapolis & St. Paul
Dog bites don’t necessarily happen every day, but they are rapidly becoming a common occurrence in Minnesota. Pit bull dog bite accidents can be debilitating based on the fact that they often lead to severe injuries. Victims often tend to grapple with mental and physical harm associated with the injury, as well as financial challenges resulting from medical treatment or even loss of jobs.
If you sustain a pit bull dog bite injury in Minnesota, you may be entitled to compensation. Understanding how the dog bite statue works is imperative, so having an experienced and qualified personal injury attorney is very important.
Understanding Minnesota’s Dog Bite Law
Minnesota’s dog bite law envisions a strict liability approach when it comes to injuries caused by dogs. Minnesota law leans towards protecting the injured person by providing that the “owner or harborer” of the dog is liable for unprovoked actions that cause injury.
This means that the plaintiff doesn’t need to show that their injuries occurred due to the dog owner’s negligence, just that it was unprovoked. Generally speaking, victims who sustain injuries due to dog bites can file a personal injury claim and successfully seek compensation.
In order to receive compensation, you will need to prove that:
- You suffered an injury caused by a dog,
- You can identify the owner or harborer (caretaker) of the dog,
- You were not trespassing at the time of the injury, and
- The actions of the dog were unprovoked.
Common Types of Pit Bull Dog bite Injuries in Minnesota
When bitten by a dog, the injury can be a minor injury or a severe injury that requires prompt medical attention. Victims of a dog bite injury in Minnesota are often at risk of getting an infection since a dog’s mouth contains over 400 kinds of bacteria.
That said, the following are some of the common types of pit bull dog bite injuries in Minnesota:
- Crushing injury
- Fractures being knocked to the ground
- Emotional trauma
Who is responsible for a pit bull dog bite injury in Minnesota?
The strict liability law governing dog bites in Minnesota places responsibility on the dog owner. This simply means that the dog owner is responsible for the injuries sustained due to a dog bite, even if they are unaware of the aggressive nature of their pet. As such, if you are injured due to a pit bull dog bite, you don’t need to prove negligence on the part of the owner in order to be compensated.
Establishing liability in a dog bite claim isn’t straightforward. You’ll need a competent and qualified personal injury attorney to help you.
What steps should you take after a dog bite in Minnesota?
If you are attacked by a dog or witness a dog attack, you should prioritize your health and everyone’s safety at the scene. The following are some of the crucial steps you need to take following a dog bite injury in Minnesota:
- Take stock of the injuries: You need to take stock of the injury following a pit bull dog bite attack. This denotes understanding the extent of the injury and damage and ensuring that you cushion the victim from additional harm. If the victim is at risk of suffering harm, you need to seek medical attention immediately.
- Collect the Dog Owner’s Information:You need to gather sufficient information about the dog and the owner. You can achieve this by requesting the dog owner to provide you with their name and contact as well as all the information they have about the dog’s medical history.
Essentially, this information is vital because it can be used as evidence during the claim process.
- Seek medical attention: Medical care should be sought immediately after an accident. This is important because it proves that the dog bite attack occasioned the injury sustained. It is also essential to seek medical attention, because the medical records may be used to determine the amount of compensation you deserve.
- Contact a Personal Injury Attorney: A personal injury attorney is a key asset following a dog bite attack in Minnesota. Put briefly, a personal injury attorney will help safeguard your rights and your interests during the claim process. What’s more, with a personal injury attorney by your side, there is a high likelihood of having a successful claim.
Types of Damages You Can Recover from a Pit Bull Dog Bite Personal Injury Claim in Minnesota
Following a dog bite injury in Minnesota, victims tend to face various challenges. Oftentimes, there are huge medical bills to pay that account for a huge percentage of the losses incurred by the victim. As such, filing a personal injury claim is necessary since it helps cushion you from incurring further losses and ,at the same time, you obtain compensation for the losses incurred.
That said, the compensation you are likely to receive takes various forms. The following are some of the common types of damage you can recover from a dog bite claim in Minnesota:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Permanent and temporary disability
Statute of Limitations for Dog bite Injuries in Minnesota
The right to file a personal injury claim isn’t absolute, to say the least. The claim process is governed by what is known as the statute of limitations. This statute provides a time limit for filing a personal injury claim in Minnesota. As such, victims of dog bite injuries within this jurisdiction are required to follow the substantive and procedural laws provided within the statute.
Depending on the facts of the case, a dog injury claim is sometimes based on negligence (six year statute of limitations) and sometimes based on the dog bite statute (two year statute of limitations). To be safe, you should contact an experienced attorney, because if you fail to file the claim within the appropriate period, your claim may be quashed or thrown out for being time-barred.
Oftentimes, complications may arise, especially when determining whether this time has lapsed. When this happens, it is imperative to have a personal injury attorney by your side who will help establish the remaining period and ,at the same time, help you file the necessary paperwork on time.
Why Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney in Minnesota?
If you or your loved one sustains an injury due to a dog bite, you need to safeguard your right to compensation. Having an experienced and knowledgeable attorney in Minnesota is an imperative undertaking.
Essentially, an attorney who understands the laws governing personal injury claims in Minnesota will help file the claim in good time and obtain the amount of compensation that you deserve.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation.